Lentil Chili Recipe
A simple, timeless, warm and cozy one-pot meal for a "chili" evening!
Knife and cutting board for chopping veggies
Large sauté pan for stovetop
Large stockpot with cover, ladle
- 1 lb bag of lentils (OR 4 standard size cans of already-cooked lentils)
- 8 cups broth or water (only if cooking lentils from the bag)
- 3 peppers (I did one red, one yellow, and one green) washed and chopped
- 2 medium or large onions chopped
- 1 standard size container of button mushrooms sliced
- 24-32 oz. jar of marinara sauce of choice (We used Rao's’)
- Extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil for sautéing
If using raw lentils: cook lentils according to instructions on package (use broth of choice, or water).
In a separate pan, start sautéing the peppers and onions in oil of choice on low-medium heat.
Add mushrooms once the peppers and onions are 75% cooked (almost translucent).
Combine cooked or canned lentils with cooked veggies and marinara sauce in a large stock pot.
Cover and simmer on low for about 10-20 minutes until it's reached your desired texture. Stir occasionally and then enjoy!
Serve on its own, enjoy a little bowl of this stuff as a snack or a couple heaping few bowls of it as more of a meal or as a side dish with some other goodies of choice!
Optional: we add on some fresh grated raw cheddar cheese for an extra kick. :)