Nan's Homemade Apple Crisp
A "healthified", nutrient-dense, gut health friendly version of classic fall apple crisp!
Apple corer (recommended for time-saving purposes!)
(Paring knife, if apple corer not available)
Measuring cups and utensils
Food processor or blender
9 X 13-inch casserole dish
- 14 Cortland or Gala apples peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 stick cold butter or 3/4 cup coconut oil (vegan option)
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar or sucanat, or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup or raw honey, or brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- extra butter/coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 3 tbsp flour of choice (all purpose or gluten free or coconut flour) optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel, slice and core apples, then pour them evenly throughout well-greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Combine ALL other ingredients into a food processor; blend or pulse until it has been evenly mixed.
Distribute and press entire mixture over the apples.
Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour, uncovered.
Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying (if you can wait that long!).
Enjoy any time of the day as a dessert, snack, or even a breakfast!