“Eat right with color”… one of the very first taglines (and most under-rated guideline) I learned in the nutrition world! This roasted beets and sweet potatoes veggie medley is a great way to do that. It goes great on the side with some rotisserie chicken or baked fish, since you’ll get a few servings of veggies and complex carbs from the beets, sweet potatoes and carrots.
Affiliate disclosure: This post contains affiliate links*. As an Amazon Associate, I may make a commission on qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you!
Substitutions and modifications
This particular recipe calls for sweet potato, beets, carrots and onions – but you also swap some of these out other root veggies like red/purple potatoes, yellow beets, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, etc.
Or if you’re on a low FODMAP protocol (i.e. garlic and onions aren’t your jam), you can use the green parts of leeks instead of onions, and garlic scape powder* (or no garlic) instead of garlic powder.
You can also add MORE beets if you’re hoping to perform the “beet test”!
(As an added bonus, I saved and sauteed the beet greens. They’re LOADED with calcium & iron as well as chlorophyll, vitamin K and lots more! I lightly sauteed them in a bit of EVOO.)
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes with Carrots and Onions
- Cutting knife and peeler for veggies
- Cutting board
- 9 X 13-inch casserole dish
- Measuring spoons
- Large spoon for stirring
- Pot holders
- 4 fresh carrots (orange/purple/white) - washed, peeled and chopped
- 3 fresh beets - washed, peeled and chopped - save the greens!
- 2 large white or yellow onions (sub green leeks for low FODMAP) - peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato - washed and chopped
- 1/3 cup oil of choice (extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil)
- 2 teaspoons salt of choice (we use Celtic sea salt or Redmond Real Salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or garlic scape powder for low FODMAP)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 shake black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel/wash, and chop/dice all veggies, and add them to fill the 9 x 13 inch pan 3/4 of the way.
- Coat the veggies in your oil of choice and stir with a large spoon.
- Add salt, pepper and spices - stir again.
- Roast for ~35 minutes total. Stir halfway through to help it cook evenly.
- Sub onions for green parts of leeks
- Sub garlic powder for garlic scape powder*