Nutrition Conviction: My Holistic Approach to Mindset Shift
If I had a dollar for every person who has approached me asking to help them lose weight… I’d be rich AF. (Pardon my French!)
When I first started this practice back in 2014, mentors and peers had advised me to offer and promote weight loss services because it was what so many people were looking for. So I did.
(For the record: this article has nothing to do with weight or weight shaming of any kind! And I no longer promote or endorse “weight loss” as a service).
What I found was that the more dissatisfied people are with their bodies, the more likely they are to binge-eat or emotionally eat in ways that are not in alignment with their hunger cues or their health.
The more they convinced themselves (or let others convince them) that their weight was a “problem”, the more dysfunctional their relationship with food/self-care might become.
When we are solely motivated by something like a number on the scale, it’s not an intrinsic (internal) source of motivation to truly be “healthier” and so any positive healthy diet changes made along the way may likely slip through the cracks.
We cannot rely on other people’s opinions and approval anymore. It needs to be about something greater and more important.
This blog post is intended to shine light on what needs to shift among the collective, on a mass level. Too many people are victims of many years of “programming” by the media and diet industry.
- When our sense of happiness, fulfillment, satisfaction or self-worth are at the whim of a fickle number (or something else related to the physical body or appearance) that is dynamic, ever-changing, and often beyond our control, what are we do to?
- If we’re dissatisfied with our body and feel that a vibrant life with positive health outcomes (as a result of sound nutrition/exercise habits) is not enough, that’s a symptom of something deeper…
What I’m getting at is that the motive to lose weight or change appearance will never be enough to sustain a successful, lasting nutrition journey. We would just find ourselves continuing to take one step forward and one step back over and over again.
There are many ways to connect with a deeper Nutrition Conviction…
Here are some other similar examples:
- Freedom from medications and the pharmaceutical rabbit hole
- Freedom from weighing, measuring and counting
- Personal empowerment: a deeper connection to your body, your emotions, your inner wisdom and to nature
- Personal empowerment that, when mastered in the realm of nutrition, can transcend into other facets of your life
- A new level of health and vitality that give you what you need to really show up (for a lot longer) for the people you love
- A new level of health and vitality that will allow you to go on fun trips that you’ve always wanted to go on
- For more ideas: check out the Health at Every Size (HAES) movement!
So let me ask you – what do you value that’s deeper and unconditional, beyond weighing a certain amount or looking a certain way? What’s your “why”?
I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to reach out any time, or comment below to share your story.