Let’s be honest – who doesn’t secretly (OR openly) prefer the taste of fresh chocolate chip cookie dough over the actual baked cookies?! I guess you can’t go wrong either way…
When it comes to food, especially foods like homemade chocolate chip cookies, it’s not just the about the yummy taste. Almost everybody I know has some kind of sentimental memory or nostalgic meaning tied to chocolate chip cookie dough!
Why not give yourself the best of both worlds: the decadent taste, aroma and experience of fresh cookie dough, minus the salmonella risk and blood sugar roller coaster?
Cookie dough personally reminds me of my childhood days, when I would make Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies from scratch with my Grammy and she would sneak me some raw cookie dough even though I “wasn’t allowed”.
This recipe is incredibly versatile and SO easy to whip up! It can be made into fudge or eaten fresh out of the bowl as straight-up cookie dough. It’s a great snack or dessert and goes splendidly with a glass of milk or milk substitute. It can be a big hit to bring to your next party- I brought it as fudge to a New Year’s Eve party last year and it disappeared within the first hour!
A few other bonuses of this homemade cookie dough:
- Low-glycemic and high in protein
- Original version features Collagen peptides which are a staple in my life because they are loaded with specific amino acids which are the perfect fuel for our intestinal cells!
Below is my personal favorite way to make this recipe, and I even included substitutions to meet your individual nutrition needs and preferences.
Table of Contents
Cookie Dough Fudge (Gluten Free, GAPS, Paleo Friendly)
- Measuring cups
- Mixing spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Wax paper
- Baking sheet or brownie pan
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (can be replaced with sunflower seed butter or natural peanut butter or melted coconut manna)
- 1/2 cup protein powder of choice I use Collagen peptides but you can also use a plant based vanilla protein powder of choice
- 1/3 cup butter or ghee or coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 to 2 TBSP maple syrup or raw honey (omit if using vanilla flavored protein powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Hu chocolate gems or chocolate chips of choice
For cookie dough:
- Combine the first two ingredients (nut butter and protein powder) in a food processor until completely blended.
- Add all remaining ingredients gradually, one at a time, EXCEPT the Hu gems/chocolate chips (if you are using these).
- Continue to blend everything until it reaches a uniform “cookie dough” consistency.
- Transfer cookie dough from food processor to a bowl, and stir in chocolate chips….and wah-lah, you have fresh chocolate chip cookie dough!
For cookie dough fudge:
- Follow all the above steps.
- Take a small 9×5- or 8×8-inch pan (i.e. baking sheet or brownie pan) and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Spread cookie dough evenly across the parchment paper, and cover with saran wrap.
- Store in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, then slice into fudge!