Semi Homemade Two-Ingredient Tomato Soup
I accidentally came up with this recipe when I was snowed in on a Monday; I didn’t get the chance to stop at the grocery store, so there were no veggies in the house – that is a rarity in my kitchen! Stereotypical, I know…
It was time to get creative.
I had a hankering for grilled cheese, and I figured tomato soup would be the perfect complement for grilled cheese on a snowy afternoon. Side-note: did you know that ½ cup of tomato sauce or 1 cup of tomato soup each count as a full serving of veggies?
There was no tomato soup on-hand, but as I rummaged through the cabinets, I came across a few jars of Rao’s brand tomato sauce. You can use whatever kind of sauce you like – I like to use Rao’s because I feel the taste is unbeatable (aside from my Mom’s sauce obviously)! 🙂
Here’s how I improvised:
- 6 cups broth of your choice (I used my homemade chicken broth – insert link to chicken broth recipe)
- 2 cups of all-natural pasta sauce of your choice
- Combine both ingredients in a large pot.
- Cook over medium heat until soup is hot.
- Transfer small batches at a time into an immersion blender, and puree.
- If needed: strain soup before transferring to a bowl – we had to do this because our tomato sauce had artichokes in it, and we were finding some unwanted string-like pieces of artichoke in our soup!